DCM Shriram Consolidated Limited (DSCL) is a leading business conglomerate with a group turnover of Rs. 5000 crores (approximately USD 1 billion). The business portfolio of DSCL comprises primarily of two types of businesses a. Agri-Rural Business (Urea & SSP fertilizers, Sugar, Farm inputs marketing such as DAP, Crop care Chemicals, Hybrid Seeds, Rural Retail Chain) b. Chlor-Vinyl Business - Caustic Soda, Chlorine,Calcium Carbide, PVC resins, PVC Compounds, Power and Cement. Also it has a value added business Fenesta Building
DSCL organises the NATIONAL HARDCOURT TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP every year since 1998. This year DSCL presents the FENESTA OPEN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, the 18th edition of the erstwhile DSCL OPEN NATIONAL TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP.
We entered the Tennis Scenario in 1992 with the organising of Open Tennis Championship for Delhi state. This was under the aegis of All India Tennis Association. The tournament started as a Open Championship for Delhi. Our organising efforts and the conduct of the tournament were well appreciated. As a result thereof the participation steadily increased from year to year.
In 1998 seeing the excellent organising capabilities of our organisation, the AITA felt us competent to organise the NATIONAL HARDCOURT TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP (We had already been given National status for the Juniors Championship in 1996). Since then DSCL has been organising the DSCL Open National Tennis Championship (previously known as Shriram Open National Tennis Championship) at the DLTA complex at New Delhi. It will now be known as the FENESTA OPEN NATIONAL TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP. The tournament is a testament to DSCL's policy of promoting sports in order to provide sporting talent with a platform from which they can move on to higher echelons.
The objective of the company in entering the Tennis fraternity was:
- seeing India emerge prominently in the International context
- providing encouragement to young budding tennis players and giving them an opportunity to exhibit their prowess in the sport for reaching greater heights.
Over the years, the tournament has seen some of India’s most promising talent take to the courts at the prestigious DLTA. Some of the prominent names among these are Mens ; J. Vishnu Vardhan, Rohan Bopanna, Somdev Devvarman, Nitin Kirtane, Yuki Bhambri, Women’s: Sania Mirza, Sai Jayalakshmi, Rushmi Chakravarty, Sonal Phadke, Radhika Tulpule,Rutuja Bhosale, Lisa Pereira, Isha Lakhani and Ankita & Sanaa Bhambri among others and promises to feature many more upcoming tennis stars in the future.
Successful participants have been selected for higher level of participation and have played at good tournaments in India and abroad. Great impetus has been received by young players who have been noticed in the FENESTA NATIONALS TOURNAMENT.
Some interesting facts about Fenesta Open National Tennis Championship:
- It is the only single full group Nationals i.e. the format covers Men, Ladies, Boys and Girls Under 18 , under 16 and under 14.
- Has a total Prize Money for the Men, Ladies at about Rs 8.84 Lac which is the highest in any domestic tournament.
- DA to boys & girls under 18, 16 & 14 and special incentives to winners in these categories
- Largest domestic tournament having an average last three years participation of 1500 players.
- First tournament in India to have its own Website - www.fenestaopentennis.com. The website has leading player profile, latest update of tournament position besides being update results on daily basis during the tournament. The website also enables participants to register online.
- The tournament uses IT extensively - Registration, Signing In, Draws etc. Cable Internet facilities are available to the media and players too.
- A souvenir is brought out to commemorate the event.
- The tournament is continuously growing in popularity and we are now having co-sponsors for the event.
- The tournament has the patronage of All India Tennis Association, Delhi Lawn Tennis Association, senior Government officials and bureaucrats interested in the sport.
This year (2012) Tournament dates are as under: